There were no changes in the primary objectives of the Intermountain Herbarium in 2001. They remain:
- Increase knowledge of plant diversity within the Intermountain Region
- Assist others conducting research on plants
- Increase the utility of the herbarium's database
- Develop identification tools to meet specific needs
- Increase interest in the region's flora by a conscious effort at outreach
Appendix A presents a summary of the herbarium's regular activities for 1997-2001. It shows increases in some areas of activity, decreases in others. A significant area of increase was in the number of exchange specimens sent out. This always fluctuates from year to year, but the number sent out during 2001 was significantly higher than in any of the previous four years. The number of specimens added to the collection was slightly less than in 2000, but above average for the past five years. The amount of time spent on service shows a decrease, but this probably reflects a difference in recording rather than a significant decrease in time spent in this activity.